Tuesday, May 19, 2009

House to Travel Ratio

So, we have been having issues with the alarm for the upstairs (burglars, be ware: there is still a functioning alarm on the house).

We had an issue with the upstairs alarm and the panel since we think the house was hit (or nearly hit) by lightning last summer. In an attempt to get it all ready for us to leave in June and have occupants in the house for that time, we decided to get it fixed. One alarm dude has already been here to check out the panel, suggesting we just merge the two panels into one. He then came back after wires were run and set up the key pad and the functioning alarm. I was here for that day and the dude was here for 4 hours, having to call for back up.

All was kosher until last Friday. With the alarm set, I come back into the house in the evening. Upon opening the door, there is no noise. Silence. But I know the alarm is active. I run to the key pad and the key pad doesn't work. And then the alarm starts to sound. The company called me and I was able to get it turn off. But the rest of the weekend I am watching the control panel like a hawk. It beeps at me. Several times in a row. It says "OC" on it. Then it says its ready. Then it says OC again. I call and that means open circuit, something isn't communicating. They will send out a dude.

The same dude arrives and of course the alarm is functioning. He runs a test up here: fine. He runs a test downstairs: fine. Only he didn't put that alarm in test mode. So, he says, maybe you have mice gnawing on the wires. Um, yeah. Doubtful. He leaves. 30 minutes later, the cops show up. Wanting to know if I live here, etc. I tell the cop everything is fine. I call the company. Oh, we didn't realize that the downstairs alarm was being tested. We dispatched the cop. I ask if they didn't notice there there was a test mode upstairs and a technician scheduled to come out here to check on the alarm? Yes, they say, but that is for the upstairs alarm and we dispatched the cop to check out the downstairs alarm. Fine, they apologize and they clear the alarm.

And not 10 minutes later the alarm starts beeping. And so I called again and they came back out between 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm. 5:15, the second dude shows up. At least this time the alarm is actually malfunctioning when the tech is here. So, the dude takes off the key pad panel and says oh I know what is wrong: and he replaces the bits that hold the wires together, saying that they come loose every once in a while. He replaces them, and the panel is fine. And then he leaves.

And about 4 minutes later, the panel starts showing OC again and beeping every 10 seconds. I leave, walking down to Georgetown. Upon my return, the key pad really is beeping every 3 seconds. So, I call the company again. And they call me back with an appointment for first thing in the morning today 8 am -12 pm. Now, I have so much stuff to do at work, so this sucks. This is not the week to have the alarm beeping every 3 seconds.

The dude on the phone says let me tell you how to power down the system. Go to the panel in the utility room and unplug the battery. Ok. I do and unplug the black wire. It still is beeping upstairs every 3 seconds. I unplug the red wire, and the alarm starts to sound
upstairs. I run upstairs, plug in the code, and it is silent. Only to start beeping every 3 seconds. I hit the star key, and it seems to silence it.

Then I call Fiona. We are looking for head gear for the wedding.

And the alarm company calls me.

Ah, we are showing a low battery in the basement and we have been trying to call such-and-such a number. Um, What? I explain to her that I was instructed to unplug the battery, that they were twice today and they will be back out tomorrow since the alarms aren't working. Ohh, she will change the phone number to call to this house number and put it in the system that the panel downstairs is on test until 12 noon tomorrow.

And then the alarm, which is supposed to powered down and/or off starts beeping every 3 seconds. Through the night.

So here is what else I am thinking: Will goes out of town and the house starts to flip out.

Proof:

Will goes to Barcelona last year, and the electricity in the kitchen goes out/stays on for days at a time.
Will goes to Florida, and the radiator breaks.
Will goes to Kuala Lumper, the boiler pump fails.
Will goes to San Jose, we get mice.
Will goes to Amsterdam, the alarm system goes berserk.

So, as I sit here waiting for the third visit of the alarm company, I am a little bit irritated about the work travel to house breaking down ratio. And I am beginning to think that the house doesn't like me.

3 comments:

G said...

I feel for you - I'd be soooo frustrated. Hmm, perhaps you have ghost that's messing with you?

Will said...

I think the house is showing it's love to you. Obviously it would rather stuff get fixed by you than me!

Fiona said...

Can I just point out that your statement about "headgear" makes it sound like you're going to wear braces to your wedding? A la Joan Cusack in Sweet Sixteen?

Nice image.