Friday, May 15, 2009

Hey, what you doin' in bed? We're only tryin' to get us some peace!

I'm in the Netherlands right now on my latest gig. So far so good, long day yesterday but things are generally going smoothly.

It turns out the hotel I'm staying in has an interesting history.

From the exterior it's a bit stuck in the 70's but the interior was apparently designed by Ralph lauren! I'll explore a bit more thoroughly over the next week and see what interesting features I can find. So far honestly it's just a pretty regular hotel at first glance.

There have been some notable deaths in the area - the most famous being a local rock star who jumped to his death from the roof in 2001.

Most importantly however was John and Yoko's: Bed-In

Feeding on the coverage of their marriage they spent their honeymoon in the presidential suite - room 702 - promoting world peace. The press were invited and covered them while they spent the the week in bed. Lennon's subsequent song - The Ballad of John and Yoko - makes a number of references to the event.....

"
Drove from Paris to the Amsterdam Hilton
Talking in our beds for a week
The newspapers said
say what're you doing in bed
I said we're only trying to get us some peace.
"
Might provide inspiration for our honeymoon.....hmm - I wonder.......

No comments: