Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It Wasn't Me

Dear Hurst Street

It was the Whitney Museum that made me do it, I swear. I know you have your issues and your concerns.  I didn't want to go, out of respect for you and your 5 year old self years ago, but I did.... and I liked it....  I went to the Frick and it was nice. 

I was in New York for an event and to pass the time, I went.  It was snowing and I had walked from Penn Station to 75th Street and Madison Ave (apparently that is like 8 miles), only to find that the Whitney was closed.  So, I thought about it and decided that it was to the Frick.  I needed to stay in that neighborhood for my work event.  I walked around it, thinking of you, but with my cold wet wet feet, I sucked up my pride and went in.  It was warm and interesting, and loved the portraits of Thomas More and Cromwell peering at each other; the Vermeers, the Rembrandts, the Gilbert Stuart.  

But, you can take pleasure that I didn't go through the *whole* place, as it was only half open since they are getting ready for a new installation.  

You can also take pleasure in the fact that afterwards, I tramped around in the cold, slushy, snow looking for a bookstore and waiting for my event, only to be disappointed as in the upper east side, book shops and coffee shops are hard to come by. 

At least I had this to warm me: 

It was the best hot chocolate in my life.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Your wet feet were your punishment for betraying the rules!!

Beware, lest you transgress again. Terrible fates await those who forget the eternal prohibitions...terrible fates.

Also, nice manicure.

Unknown said...

Allowing that I am late commenting on this, here goes.
I grew up sepnding many a happy hour wandering through the Frick ,listening to the organ music and watching the huge portraits as if any moment the inhabitants therein would come stepping out of the frames and begin a gavotte around the truly palatial environs.
Nonetheless, it was a cruel blow all thos years ago when they would not allow my sophisticated, smart and museum savvy child, aka Fiona, in the building. So we played in Central Park West while everyone else traipsed.