Thursday, February 12, 2009

Give and Take - well - more take than give but whatever. - busy day today - 3rd post

Today I enjoyed my first day off of the trip. I leave on Saturday afternoon so have two days which which to explore Malaysia. Yes, it's a daunting prospect but regardless I'll do my best. First step was breakfast which I can only describe as stunning - particularly since I've discovered steak is on the menu the last two days, those guys can also poach eggs like, well - pros. I followed this with a brief check on the client who were doing fine and headed out the door. First stop was the bus terminal about a mile away to get my bus ticket for tomorrows excursion to Melaka. The terminal was quite a hub of activity and obviously an integral part of the local's transportation.

Next up, probably a couple of miles walk further on I came to an area called Lake Gardens which contains the war memorial. (Cenotaph in the back behind the onions). Good patriotic stuff on a sunny day.














Lake gardens also has two important destinations that were on my list. The KL bird park and orchid garden. Upon entering the parking lot (pretty hot and tired at this point having walked for two hours in the sweltering heat) I was greeted by car park monkies! What a pick me up. There was probably a gaggle? of about 30 wandering around causing trouble. What an entertaining lot. Fortunately I had a mango in my bag (obviously not provided by the hotel) which I offered them. The antics that followed as they squabbled over it were hugely entertaining. The big male controlled everything but was followed by his minions who received scraps and tussled over the smaller bits. For the record, I tried to catch one so I could pop it in my bag and bring it home to no avail.














Next I went on to the bird park. The world's largest free flight walk in aviary.

I can only describe my experience, as a lover of birds, as almost emotional. I witnessed some of the most staggeringly beautiful animals on the planet. Most of them were with in arms reach and outside any enclosure.
















The biggest treat was as I left the facility however. My final encounter was of the Rhinoceros Hornbill (last image) swooping towards me and landing a foot away on a railing. The size of it was immense - wing span of probably 5 feet. Flying towards me I almost felt like ducking but fortunately stood still and felt the wind buffet my face as he pulled in. Sadly I didn't have much time with him but was able to get a quick shot off. I was quite something. If you're ever in KL this place cannot be missed. I'm also up for a 250th Darwin celebration if anyone's having one.

The Orchid garden had orchids in it - whatever.


Oh - and the give part of the title........I went to the shops and blew a ton of cash on stuff. The economy should be a bit better off. Now we just need everyone else to blow some and this economic crisis stuff will be a thing of the past.

4 comments:

Fiona said...

That bird park sounds amazing. I'd love that. Too bad you couldn't get a monkey, though. Imagine the fun you'd have with Miriam.

awojo said...

By the way you can have a cartload, tribe, troop, or troup of monkeys... Very cool

Unknown said...

PRESENTS FOR ME!!!!!! I lurvs you....

BaysYates said...

Wow...fantastic. Amazing that there are monkeys just sitting there. That blows my mind.

Can I also say that I love that this has become a combo blog- love Miriam blogs but also love Will blogs. :)