Friday, December 18, 2009

Buying Your Own Christmas

self gift buying: caught in the act

It is that time of year where I scratch my brain and try to think of presents for Will. I don't have the best of luck with getting him presents that he actually likes (i.e. the mini globe made of sparklely rocks and semi-precious gem stones because he travels so much or the mini postal scales because he has bigger, old fashioned scales for plant stands and I thought mini ones would be a fun desk toy). And to make matters worse, Will usually takes this time of year to buy himself presents and doesn't tell me that he would like Santa to bring them. But, more to the point, they are usually gifts that I had NO CLUE he even wanted.


Case in Point, item one:
A combo sundial-bird bath. Now, we have both of these items in our garden already, so who was I to think that we would need both things combined into one. So, you can't fault me for this one.

However, for this second example, maybe I missed a clue? A passing comment or stray thought? Looking back, I *think* I would have remembered that Will *wanted* to learn how to do this, should he have said it out loud, because learning to whittle is something that would catch my attention. Yeah, he bought himself a book:
I guess he figures he has a working fire place and with the 20 inches of snow coming down, he will need something to pass the time. But, yeah, I *never* saw this request coming... I guess that is why he decided to take care of it himself.

No comments: