Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bread Envy

So, the other day, I am minding my own business, working away, when I receive this email from a California-based friend. It has this photo & message:


"Well, I don't think I've ever sent anyone a picture of a loaf of bread before but this came out the oven a few minutes ago looking soooo gorgeous that I snapped a pic. And then I figured if anyone would appreciate it, it would be you! So here you are: P's latest loaf!"

I have total bread envy. It looks perfect and I am assured just as tasty. My foray into bread making has not been successful (trying it without a bread machine) and so this makes me doubly envious.

I did retaliate with photos of my fried green tomatoes, but nothing really ever beats fresh, homemade bread.

Now, I am staring at the photo and yearning for some warm butter and a serrated knife....

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Yum. You do not need a bread machine. You can totally make bread.

Unknown said...

every time I have tried sans bread machine, the loaf doesn't come out.

So maybe it's me and I need a bread machine...

Fiona said...

Bread machines don't make that kind of bread.

They make uniform loaves good for sandwiches but because they have a specifically-sized baking space they can't make a beautiful free-form loaf like that.

You do not need a bread machine. You need practice. And a good recipe.

Unknown said...

You can use the machine to mix the dough and then cook it in the oven.

It could be the oven is my problem... let's not go there.

Sandy said...

That loaf looks not unlike a manatee. As for bread baking, try your mixer with the dough hook attachment for bread.

Given the time it takes to make a yeast bread I find it far more effective to purchase it. Admittedly, that does not come with the same sense of self-accomplishment.