Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reason #842

Why older homes are problematic: Radiator heating that has not been properly maintained. 

I love radiator heating.  It isn't as drying as the heating systems of today.  I love the sounds they make; I like the window seats that the covers make.  It is *usually* a really good way to heat a house, *if* they have been properly cared for.

Last night, however, Will and I discovered that the upstairs radiators are no longer working.  I have been hearing clanking (totally normal) and water running (not so much) coming from them while Will was away and I ran the heat higher (65 degrees).  Yes, the old adage of the cat's away, the mice will turn up the heat.  

Will came home, and turned down the heat (60). Last night, I noticed that upstairs was particularly cold.  I checked the radiators in all the bedrooms, and they were stone cold. Turning up the thermostat didn't make a difference, either.  

So now it is Sunday and we are on Angie's List trying to find a radiator repair man to come and see what is up with the radiators upstairs and bleed the radiators downstairs, which are producing a bit of heat.  

In the meantime, it's 9 am and I am going to light a fire to stay warm....

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh no! Sorry. Here's hoping somebody can make them work soon.

You could come live at my house...it's new and unattractively dominated by the garage, but the heat works.

Unknown said...

Wellll, the heat works but you keep looking around for Howard Hughes in full aviator regalia and the post WWII ariplane he is about to test. The noise folks, the noise the furnace/air conditioner unit makes is not. to. be. believed.