Thursday, January 29, 2009

Good to Know: England takes Visa to get a Visa

Apparently I need a visa to marry Will in England. These Brits, I tell you, they don't let just anyone marry them in their own country. The good thing is one can apply online. I had give them all sorts of information: how many, when, and why I have visited foreign countires; income statement; family info; blood type; name of first pet; preference for the bacon butty or Scotch egg; the genealogy of the Queen;... the list goes on and on...

An hour later and at the cost of $116.00, I have completed, finally, the online application.

Once I clicked "done", I then printed off the application. Next, I must show up in person with Will for an appointment in February to an office in Alexandria with paperwork, passport, and acceptable passport photo to obtain permission to get a visa. Afterwards, I will have to send more paperwork and granted permission (yes, I am assuming it will be granted) within two weeks of the appointment to a consulate in New York. After that, I guess I await for the visa to be sent in the mail.

All of this when we live three blocks from the British Embassy. Literally, three blocks. I pass it on the way to work...

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wow, are they afraid that you're going to defect? Or cause some kind of international incident?

I thought we had it rough with our destination wedding when the catering manager wouldn't return an email.

Thanks for making me feel better :)

Fiona said...

Well, honestly M. You don't expect the British Embassy to invite you in for cocoa-in-bed while you chat over that visa thingy?

It's no fun if you can't make the rotten Yanks drive a bit.

This is like that line (ahem...queue) in the Gare du Nord. You wait in it, get to the British customs officer, and *then* she says "Oh, Americans have to fill out that form. Go get it and get back in line." Grr...

Unknown said...

I know! It is crazy. And frustrating, since I live so close to the embassy... grrr....