Thursday, January 1, 2009

Battenberg!

One of the delicious edibles from England to which Will has introduced me to is Battenberg tea cakes. Sometimes called Chapel Window cake, it is a pound cake-like dessert wrapped in apricot jam and marzipan. The cake itself if divided into sections, pink and yellow, to look like a window. We requested that we get these (and Bath Olivers and hot water bottles) brought over from the Motherland whenever we have visitors from there.

Now, we don't have to wait until the next Englishman (or woman) arrives. I have learned how to make it! Especially key now given the fact the British government in April 2008 asked for a voluntary ban on artificial food dyes in food, which would effect Battenberg cakes (and Turkish Delight and mushy peas)!

It might be a heresy committed against my great grandmother Mammy's pound cake to wrap it in anything because it is so yummy on its own, but I have taken it, divided the batter in half and added red food dye to get the pink color. And no way can I pass on the recipe for the cake (My mother might kill me), but those of you who have tasted the cake know that it is too.die.for. And to be honest, this cake might have been the best one that I have ever made.

Once they were out, I let them cool completely, and then put them in the fridge (wrapped in cling wrap), to really set up. Then I cut them into square logs, spread apricot jam in between and all around, and finally wrapped marzipan (rolled out over sugar) around the whole cake.

Viola! Homemade Battenburg.

When you come to our house for tea, we will serve this to you with your cuppa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pardon me? Apricot jam in between the layers and marzipan all around. Oh. Please. Sign me up for 12. That and either Barry's or Lifeboat tea, and maybe some of that chocolate from See-Attle, and I will die very happy. Oinking all the way up the ladder...