Monday, May 14, 2012

Angkor Thom: Baphuon and Phimeanakas Temples


Our next temple was Baphuon, another representation of Mount Meru and marked the center of the city. Most of it was been destroyed or damaged-- the land it is built on is quite sandy so the structure is unstable.





 The causeway to Baphuon is quite stunning and very much intact.  There are areas of numbered stones on each side-- an effort to reconstruct the towers of this temple is more like a puzzle than building works. 

 The top of the temple is still revered and Jen wasn't able to join us at the top.  She was wearing shorts and though she has covered her legs with a sarong, that was still unacceptable to the guards.  I was able to go up to the top in my long dress.  Once there, I pulled my dress up and flashed my knees, to spite the guards.  I immediately whacked my head on a door lintel.  Buddha did not wait for retribution!



Phimeanakas temple was built at the end of the 10th century, during the reign of Rajendravarman (from 941-968), then rebuilt by Suryavarman II in the shape of a three tier pyramid as a Hindu temple. According to legend, the king spent the first watch of every night with a woman thought to represent a Nāga in the tower, during that time, not even the queen was permitted to intrude. Only in the second watch the king returned to his palace with the queen. If the naga who was the supreme land owner of Khmer land did not show up for a night, the king's day would be numbered, if the king did not show up, calamity would strike his land.  I didn't walk up the stairs, Will did.  I was starting to overheat at this point-- we had been out since 5 am and it was about 4 pm.  I took the opportunity to have a rest in the shade.  












And everywhere you look, there is a Buddha being worshiped and prayed to by anyone and everyone.

No comments: