Monday, June 13, 2011

Squash Leaves!

As big as my head!  Well, really, bigger.  Look at the size of the leave in comparison to my hand:
Will planted the lower Victory garden this year.  I wasn't sure where anything was planted until after a few weeks, when the plants got taller and stronger.  I can identify the peppers, tomatoes, carrots based on the stems and leaves.  I assumed that Will must have also planted the squash in the Victory garden as well.  I assumed that he planted zucchini in the upper garden.  I assumed he planted the watermelon by the back gate.  Only one of my assumptions was correct: the watermelon is by the back gate.

 He explained to me that the vines that are taking over the Victory and the upper garden are volunteers!  They must of germinated from squash and zukes from last summer that were thrown into out compost pile, left over winter, and then spread out on the garden at the beginning of the year.  We did start some squash and zucchini, but not this many vines.  Let me tell you, these suckers are happy!
We have so many squash blooms-- don't worry, I have a favored stuffed squash flower recipe that I will be using, so many budding squash, and such long, tanglely vines that are crawling up the tomato cages, across the tops of the other plants, or reaching to the roses.  These are the happiest, healthiest volunteers we have ever had.  I just hope that they produce something delicious!

No comments: