Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rear View Cathedral

 We frequently walk Stirling to the National Cathedral; it is only 2 blocks away after all. The gardens and the coy pond are her favorite.  We usually approach from the side, walk through the Bishop's Garden, and then around the front facade of the building.  We end up on the far side, where there is a field to run and play in.  After a good romp, we return pretty much the same way.

Lately, however, I have been walking her completely around the cathedral.  I have to say that the back side of the building I think is more stunning.  You get more flying buttresses, more intricate corners from where the towers join, and a lovely hidden courtyard with a modern sculpture fountain.  It is stunning to circle around the back even at night because of the dramatic lighting--though, you will have to take my word for it.  I don't carry the camera at night when I am walking Stirling alone.

backside of the nave

from the north side of the cathedral

inside the hidden courtyard
the tulip fountain

All and all, Stirling is one lucky pup that she gets walked so much, and I am one lucky dog owner that I get to walk her so much at the cathedral.

No comments: