Sunday, June 5, 2011

DC Waterfront

My West Coast Brother-in-Law is visiting and after being landlocked in Kentucky for a while, he needed to see the water that eventually leads to the ocean.  It may not be his ocean, but it is an ocean.  

Maryland Blue Crab
 I took him down to the DC Waterfront, where the floating businesses of seafood vendors always shows the freshest fruits of the sea.  This is a part of DC where most tourists don't come and so you really get a feel for the "real DC:"  locals getting the fresh Maryland blue crab.
I can't tell you how many steamed bushels of crab I have gotten from here over the years.  Let's just say that after being in DC for 15 years now, I have eaten my weight 50 times over in freshly steamed crabs.  I don't see a problem with that at all.





We wondered around looking at the crabs, the crab legs, the oysters, scallops, fish with the glassy eyes.  You name it, you can find it here.   Lots of the vendors have a section where you can get your lunch and sit, watching the boating world go by. 

We happened to hit the market right after we had lunch (not smart timing on our part, that's for sure) and so we just looked at what was on offer.



"I'll take a dozen crab legs, 24 shucked oysters, and that yacht, to go please."

No comments: