Saturday, June 12, 2010

Grapes! And Other Garden Things

Our grapes have now progressed to the size of marbles and we are pretty sure that these are the green grapes. The vines are supporting about 10 bunches. There might be more hidden under the leaves, but we'll take that amount! How many grapes do you need to make wine?

And, just in case you thought that we would be fruitless in other categories, here are the figs:

The tree is full of them, in all sizes. By the time my parents and my sister come to visit for the 4th of July, we will have the first crop of figs to pick. Good thing too-- Miss Chloe loves her fig jam!

The rest of the garden is doing quite well:
We planted grass seed where we pulled up all the crab grass (that I have sat for hours, pulling it up strand by strand. I am *so* my father's daughter). Baby grass is coming up, but the weather is now getting pretty hot and humid, so the rest of the grass is looking rather dry. In the victory garden, I could have shown you ripened golden raspberries, but I ate them all before I got my camera. It was a handful and they were perfectly delicious. Don't worry, more berries are on the bush, and I still won't share them with you.

In the upper garden, we have lots of tomatoes and lettuces spreading out and up. So far, only that one tomato, but several other plants are flowering. Again, by the time the family comes, we should have a few ripe, red fruits to share.

No comments: