Monday, January 18, 2010

No Lime in This Coconut


I made toasted coconut ice cream today! Using David Lebowitz's book, The Perfect Scoop, I made my first custard-based ice cream. I altered the recipe a bit: using half and half instead of heavy cream and using lite coconut milk instead of whole milk. And I forgot the salt. But, the result is still delicious!

I had never made ice cream with eggs. As usual, when talking to Fiona, she perfectly put my anxiety into words, "You don't want scrambled eggs in your ice cream!" Always the worry when mixing the egg yolks into the cream and then heating. Now, the left over egg whites will be used to make meringue nests, but that is for another day. Right now, I am just enjoying a scoop of toasted coconut ice cream.... and maybe another scoop of mint chocolate chip...

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Looks delish. I love how forgiving ice cream is. In the end, if it's sweet and cold and flavorful, it's good.

Meanwhile, cookbooks continue to freak us all out by threatening the dreaded Scrambled Egg Outcome. And part of me thinks, "well, if you're going to put it through a sieve, who cares?" I mean, the scrambled bits will catch and what's left will be fine.

Obviously, I'm not French Laundry material.

Grandmother said...

Homemade ice cream is the best! Wish we could share some. I'm sure Will is sorry to be away right now.