Thursday, August 20, 2009

Another Harvest!






Another harvest! Purple carrots, green jalapeno peppers, scarlet runner beans, ripening figs, and some lovely cherry tomatoes. Well, really more like another round of picking the limited fruits of our labors. However, I would like to point out the potatoes. We dug up another 1.5 LB of potatoes, for a total of 3.6 pounds grown from a starting point of 2 pounds. Very exciting. As you know, we are already preparing for a fall planting of Yukons.

Your eyes also do not deceive you: that *is* an eggplant. I allowed a vowel vegetable to grow in my garden. A big step for me. I do not deny that it looks rather pretty, both on and off the vine. I however still do not want to eat it. We gave it to Kelly, who is contemplating a parmesan or bobaganosh. I promised I would have a taste, but I promised that I would not like it.

And yes, that is a very long zucchini. We were taken by surprise that it was even growing. We checked the plant one day, only blossoms. And then three days later: this monster! Finally, after three years of attempting squash and zucchinis, we have a proper one; not one that has cross bred and created a new type of of inedible squash. We are very pleased with ourselves. We cooked half of it the other night on the grill (delicious) and the reminder is in the fridge... waiting for my dad to come visit and make me his zucchini bread like he did when we were kids.....




3 comments:

Fiona said...

Good times. For lunch today I had a tomato sandwich made with a tomato I grew myself. Summer is awesome.

BTW, you will be amused to know that the security word below is "taters." Clearly, someone at Google is reading...

Grandmother said...

It's takes more than half a zuchinni to make the bread so you had better go ahead and eat it.

But I do agree with you - Dad makes a great zuchinni bread!

Unknown said...

I am hoping that we will have some fresh veg and fruits to share with you next weekend, Grandmother. Though, the golden raspberries *never* seem to make it into the house. We will have, however, fresh home made fig jam.... yummy!