Saturday, October 20, 2012

First Sights of Belgium

Palais Royal
After yet another crappy flight on American Airlines (delayed because of a possible breaking seal on the flap and then sitting just off the gate waiting for traffic to clear up), I made it to the Heart of Europe: Brussels, Belgium.  My hotel is located in what is called the European District, so it is very close to the EU buildings.  It isn't too far a walk to the Grand Place and the Place du Grand Sablon.
I passed the Palais Royal, is the official residence of the monarch of Belgium, on my way to the Grand Place-- only I got turned around and ended up at the Place du Grand Sablon, where there are lots of chocolate shops, antiques shops, and pubs. 

 By the time I finished my first beer (a Leffe), it was getting dark but I wondered over to the Grand Place-- having finally found myself on the map. 
 The Grand Place is the civic center of Brussels and shows off some of Belgium fancy architecture. 

 The spire of the Hotel de Ville-- the town hall-- is about 315 feet high and during the French bombardment in 1695 it was the only thing left standing when the rest of the building was demolished--despite being the target of the French canons!





 The statue of Everad 't Serclaes-- who died in 1388 defending the city against the Spanish-- brings you good luck if you touch his arm.  The whole square is alive at night with bars, tourists, artists, musicians, and shops.  I was able to have another beer (Togerle) and my first pot of mussels and frites. 



The statue of the 11th century knight Godefroid de Bouillon, the leader of the first crusade, was erected by King Leopold II.
 

Notre-Dame du Sablon is a rather orient Gothic church with some fantastic stained glass windows that are incredibly detailed.

Antiques and chocolate were on offer for my Saturday afternoon-- with some gorgeous samples of beautifully crafted pieces both of the edible and display variety.


No comments: