Monday, October 29, 2012

A Day in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Centraal Train Station
Working my way north in the Netherlands, I spent a lovely day walking around Amsterdam.  Having never been here before, and taking advantage of the sunny day, I spent the majority of the day just walking the city.  My friend's husband was my guide for the morning, pointing out various changes in the way the city has evolved to cope with the modern world.  He deposited me in front of the museums mid-day, where I wandered through room after room of modern art, classic Rembrandts, or Delft pottery.

Getting to the city at 10:30 am, I was on the train back to Utrecht about 7 pm, having ambled my way around canals, cafes, souvenir shops, and (of course) the Red Light District.  I didn't visit any coffeeshops, but saw plenty of patrons maundering through the Red Light District as the windows started to come to life. 
Vondel Park


I amsterdam-- find me by the M

Stedlmuseum

exhibit in the newly reopened Stedmuseum

William Rex, a huge model tall ship

Central figures of the Night Watchman

what more do you need than Cheese?

clog magnets

Halloween street fair in front of the Dam

bicycles galore

canal tour bus and the sharpest corner house ever

Anne Frank's house

dusk in Amsterdam

a church

the houses go right to the water

The Wag, the old weighing building

Steps, clocks, and neck gables

a gorgeous day in Amsterdam on one of the canals (is it bad that I can't tell them apart?)

flower mart

tulips bulbs

leaning canal houses

No comments: