Monday, October 8, 2012

Cornish Pasties

It is Downton Abbey time (at least in England--though it isn't due here until January, we have been able to stream it).  Every Sunday, I have several ladies over for tea and scones to watch the latest episode.

It was requested that we actually have some savory treats as well at the last viewing. I pulled out my Great British Food cook book and the group decided on Cornish Pasties-- the hand-held pie that Cornish miners would eat as their lunch.

I made the dough and had it chilling while I diced up the ingredients for the inside.  Because I am very accommodating, I made two kinds of Cornish Pasties, one with meat & veg and one just veg.  The veg's were: onions, sweet potatoes, turnips, potatoes, and rutabagas.

I added lots of spices and even added more salt & pepper than for the what the recipe called.   I rolled out my dough, cut my circles, added the filling, and pinched it shut; flour flying everywhere.  


ready for fridge!
Even Stirling had flour on her muzzle.
adding the egg wash






The pies chilled for another hour and then I washed each one in egg.  Into the oven they went!  Out came perfect looking pies.  

I served them warm and with HP Brown Sauce.  They were delicious, or everyone told me so--just as they were instructed to do, as these are a real pain to make!  Too be honest, they were a bit dry.  They needed some gravy, or lots of brown sauce/ketchup.  

Still, people enjoyed them with their tea and Downton Abbey.  Next episode, I will revert to just making scones.  It is sooooo much easier!




removing them from the baking sheets

the vegetarian Cornish Pasty

No comments: