Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fig Ice Cream

I have too many figs that I don't know what to do with them all. We have been giving them away like hot cakes to friends and neighbors-- many of whom, shockingly, have never seen a fresh fig let alone tasted one. The horror.

I was thrilled when I found a recipe from mine and Hurst Street's favorite ice cream dude's book: David Leibowitz's Perfect Scoop. In his recipe, he calls for 20 fresh figs.

Ah, I had 60. Triple Batch, anyone?

You basically make fig jam, blend with cream, and then thrown the mixture into your ice cream maker. It was the first time that I used figs with the skins (usually I peel them to make jam), so I soaked them before I cut them into smaller chunks than I normally would.


The end result:

a lovely, figgy-creamy ice cream with has a very strong flavor. Alas, it isn't the lovely purple ice cream I was hoping for, which leads me to believe that we do not have a Black Mission Fig Tree. Having researched the varieties (read: googled "fig trees"), I think that we have either a Brown Turkey Fig Tree or a Conadria Fig Tree (I lean towards the Brown Turkey). The ice cream is a soft caramel color, instead, and still quite delicious. After taste tests, we think that it is best when paired with another flavor, so one isn't overwhelmed with fig.

Since I had such a large batch, instead of just passing out fresh figs, I passed out fresh fig ice cream! Our neighbors love us...

4 comments:

awojo said...

For the record Tom and I are more than happy to stop by and take as many figs off your hands as you want to get rid of!! I <3 figs!

Fiona said...

That looks like Brown Turkey, but there are many varieties and they often look alike. Brown Turkey does well with relatively cold climates, so I suspect that's what you've got.

Black Mission figs are...black. On the outside. And they have deliciously thin skin. They're usually in the store around September/October, and I think they're awesome. But Calmyrnas, which are green all over, are really good, too.

Unknown said...

Indeed these neighbors do love your fig ice cream - it is amazing! Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Indeed these neighbors do love your fig ice cream - it is amazing! Thanks so much!