Thursday, August 19, 2010

Evening Trip to San Antonio

My lovely hostess, Marian, took me to San Antonio for the evening. It was a quick drive-- I imagined everything in Texas being days and days away from each other, but I guess that is more "Giant" than actual Texas.

We didn't get to the city until about 6:00 pm. Alas, I did was not able to discover if the Alamo has a basement or not, but we saw the facade (which was added to the fort in the 1860s), and the sculpture to those who fought at the Alamo.

Marian then took me on a driving tour to the King William area of San Antonio, which was where a lot of wealthy Germans came to build and live when they immigrated to the city. Marian is some what of an expert on these peoples, as she did her dissertation on them (and the Chechs, and the Irish).
The houses are quite fantastic! I was surprised to see these "mansions" in Texas, especially with multi-colored paint. I am sure that if my King William were with us, he would like the two-storey screened in porch the best: it has two or three palm trees inside!

I also loved the toy soldiers and lions out front of this house. I wonder what they are trying to protect in there...




Finally a quick walk along the river walk near the old Pearl Brewery. They are no longer making beer, but their storage facilities have been turned into a several shops and restaurants. We had a lovely meal at La Sogno-- sitting at the "chef's table" (read: bar) and watching all the cooks prepare the food, including ours. It made me really want to learn how to chop like a professional.


1 comment:

Sandy said...

I'm with you on chop like a professional. I got a book on knife skills, read the first chapter and promptly went back to my dull knives and bad habits.