Thursday, April 16, 2009

We Have Arrived




We haven't even been in the country 12 hours (fyi: we are in England, doing wedding stuff), and we have already purchased and consumed some of the finest of British culinary delights. And by we, I mean... we. 

The first deliciousness was a doughnut "finger" of some sort.  Sweet bread and icing: what is there not to love as it tides us over while looking for a mobile phone for here and a forever long line in the post line. 

Then, a trip to Sainsbury's for sustenance for our dinner and snack time.  While I am off looking at the fresh produce-- which almost everything is wrapped in individual packages of plastic containers and bags so I am now even more impressed with the woman from the BBC who went without plastic for a month--Will picked up some snacks. 

I was prepared for the usual: Battenburg and Pickle.  But he was intrigued by the Lyle's golden syrup cake.  Considering how much he pours it on when we have a steamed pudding, this little cake might be the blending of two equally loved sugary treats. In which case, Will is never going to be "wedding ready" as he will buy the entire market out of the cake and eat it all up in one sitting. 

But then there are his childhood delights: the Scotch Egg, a hard boiled egg, wrapped in ham, breaded and deep fried  (In the 2nd photo, it is one thing that looks like a hush puppy).  And the Pork Gala Cake, with is a loaf of bread surrounding something like pork pate, surrounding a hard boiled egg.  (I sense a theme here...). 

Now, I know better than to eat a Scotch Egg, but I admit I was tempted by the Pork Gala Cake (that slice in the bottom of the 2nd photo).  It did have the word "cake" in the name, so it can't be bad, right?  And I do love pate. But let's just say, I am really glad that Will only got a slice and I will continue to buy pate when it is labeled pate and not gala cake.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Just dive right in, kids! Too bad you can't really *immerse* yourself in local culture.

Oh...wait...

hscfree said...

So what is the issue with a Scotch egg?