Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tonbridge School

We went to visit Will's school, Tonbridge School, in the town of Tonbridge. It was very pretty.

Tonbridge School was founded in 1553 by Sir Andrew Judde, under Letters Patent of King Edward VI. The Charter ordained that the Governors of the school after the death of the Founder were to be the Worshipful Company of Skinners, one of the oldest City Livery Companies. Sir Andrew, himself a distinguished member of this Company, left property in the City of London and in the parish of St Pancras as an endowment for the school.

It has to be said, that Will attending a school *older* than the U.S. is astonishing to me. I took him to my high school, Ballard, on his first visit home with me. He was not too impressed with the 1968 founding of the school. I think it was the "um, yeah, 1968? Is that all?" comment was my first clue of his lack of respect for my Bruins...
one of the main school buildings


The chapel


Ferox Hall, where Will (and his brother) lived while attending

Practicing cricket (what else!) on the Head

3 comments:

hscfree said...

So there is a good possibility that I am older than your high school, depending on when it opened in '68.

Heck, Tonbridge beats Harvard by 83years.

Unknown said...

Man, you are old! ;)

BaysYates said...

Dude...he went to Hogwarts!! That is fantastic. :)