Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mr. Proudfoot's Dinner

Sylvia has a butcher in Edinburgh, Mr. Ian Proudfoot of Learmonth Avenue. He has been her butcher since she returned to the UK in 1976. Since then, Sylvia has been buying haggis from him for dinner. She brought one to us to have for dinner. It is my second Proudfoot haggis. Edward, coming down to London tomorrow, is bringing yet a third. I doubt we can get it into the States, so we might have another dinner of haggis with neeps and tatties (otherwise know as turnips and potatoes).

It being a true Scottish butcher, that is a true Scottish haggis. So, yes, that *is* a sheep's stomach that the haggis is cooked in. Haggis is traditionally sheep offal mixed with oats, grains, and spices....

...Served with some broad beans, mashed neeps & tatties, and you have yourself one delicious dinner.

4 comments:

Fiona said...

Go on with yourself, Ms. Gross-out. As you know, I ate haggis (sliced and fried) in Edinburgh. It was good. And then I got pregnant.

So you eat that, baby girl. Eat away...

BaysYates said...

Not sure how I feel about that. I like to think I am an open-minded girl when it comes to food...but that may be my limit... :)

When are you back in the states? Are you going to be in DC derby weekend, or do you have other places to be? :)

Will said...

It's apparent to me that folks can have quite differnt haggis experiences depending on the source. I'd recomend trying it from a butcher and home cooked before anyone gives up on it entirely. The stuff is outstanding and if Miriam can do it I think most anyone can.

Will said...

ooh - that's a thought.


Maybe I'll get mum to bring a couple down for the gathering in June!