Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Apples from Our Tree

Our apple tree is finally producing apples of an unknown variety.  Smallish, tart, and pink (if they stay on the tree long enough).  We picked about kilo of them last weekend. So far, I have made apple sauce and a delicious apple custard tart. The apples kept their shape and taste in the tart. 
my apple custard tart
It wasn't too custardy (because some slipped out of the crust during baking), but the crowd agreed that it was yummy and Will thought that the proportions of fruit-to-filling was spot on.  The custard may not have been so, ah, custardy as I had hoped because I didn't use single cream.  I used 2% milk and there just isn't enough fat in it.  Still, I was pleased with the outcome. 



It is really the first time that we have gotten this bounty from the tree.  Will's parents were exceptionally thrilled to see the amount of fruit, considering they are the ones that planted it. Once we pick the last apple, we definitely have to trim it back.  Our yard and our neighbor's yard are covered in fallen, rotting apples. 

In the meantime, I will make more apple sauce and our neighbor's kids will feed more apples to their horses.  

No comments: