Monday, September 5, 2011

Unexpected Overnight Guest


I am a very light sleeper.  Always have been, always will be.  When I was little and my parents were out for the evening, I would wake up when I heard their footsteps on the stairs as they were coming up to check on us before taking the babysitter home.  It is to the point that I have to go to bed before Will if I am to get any sort of sleep. 

So, when I hear barking outside, coming in waves every 20 minutes, there is no way I will be able to sleep.  The other night, this is just what happened: I am going to bed, Will has followed me up, and as we I am about to turn off the light for the night, I hear our neighbors dog, Angus, barking.  And barking.  And barking. I have been hearing him since 10 pm, and at midnight, I realize that he has been left outside.  Stirling is going crazy since she can hear the barking and knows its Angus. 

I went outside to the neighbors' gate and called Angus' name.  He came running and leapt into my arms.  I brought him inside, gave him a bit of water and some food, and up to bed we went.  He immediately dove under the bed and made himself comfortable.  The next morning, I returned him to the neighbors, who were mortified that they had left him outside.  They have three kids and bedtime for them is a bit crazy.  They have apologized repeatedly and thanked us for taking care of the dog since they hadn't heard him barking.  No worries, we don't mind.  We think it's funny. Angus isn't any trouble either.

And then, last night, as I am going up to bed, I hear the barking outside....  guess who spent the night with us again?

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Are you sure he's not sneaking out? Maybe he likes to spend the night with you...