Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Little Bit Sad

I have had numerous texts and emails today, asking if I am okay.  Not because of my toe, but because my favorite band of all time decided (and rightfully so) to call it quits.  And it makes me a little bit sad.

R.E.M. was a fantastic band and I had all their cassettes, CDs, special issue records, interviews, compilations, posters, magazine articles, etc.--Most displayed on my bedroom or college dorm wall.

Once Bill Berry left in 1997, I was disappointed that they didn't hold true to their pledge of breaking up when one person wanted to leave, albeit reluctantly for health reasons.  I only bought a few handful of the other post-1997 albums. "Up" an ex boyfriend gave me; I bought "Accelerate" and listened once. I was in the grocery store and their latest was on sale--I bought it and listened to it in the car on the way home.

I have seen them 17 times.  I have all the concert t-shirts, still wearing them in face. The posters are rolled up though. The magazines have been recycled.  The CDs aren't specially displayed any longer.

The BBC had a nice, well, obit, for the band today.  
As did the New York Times.

And now I have to listen to all the albums again and again.  To Michael, Mike, Bill, and Peter: you were my Beatles and I love you and your music.  Thanks for allowing me to grow up with you, to learn more about the world and issues and humanity.


No comments: