Friday, September 2, 2011

My Red Giraffe

I have a thing for giraffes, ever since I worked with them at the Louisville Zoo (now nearly 20 years ago... ack!).  I have stuffed animals, statues, stationary, magnets, pens, pencils, handbags, books, photos, paperweights, jewelry, teapots, coffee mugs, stamps, stickers, socks, t-shirts, ... I think you get the idea.   I love their grace, quietness, demeanor.  They are just amazing creatures. 

I recently moved on from my job after working with the same folks in two different organizations for 12 years.  That is a long tenure in administrative work this day and age.  As a present from a dear friend-- the same lovely lady who drove Stirling to us-- she found me a red giraffe with green hooves and ears.  I am not sure anything could have been better.   He is displayed on the window ledge in the front hall and makes me smile every time I see him. 

Because he is beautiful.  Because I love giraffes.  Because of the memories of time spent with a high school boyfriend who worked at Red Giraffe video.  Because he has green hooves for no good reason.  Because Marian gave him to me.  Thank you, deary.  You are marvelous-- as is your giraffe.

No comments: