Friday, April 30, 2010

Derby Prep



Tomorrow is Kentucky's National Holiday: the 136th running of the Kentucky Derby. Since I am not in attendance at Churchill Downs, my friend and fellow Louisvillian have a Derby Party here in DC.

I am in full Derby-prep mode. I've made my Kentucky-shaped shortbread cookies...

...got my bourbon out....

...made my simple syrup (might have even tasted it to make sure that it will work with the bourbon, pictured above)....


...got my roses ready to run for...


...have my Derby Pie made and perfectly delicious looking...


...and have my tote board ready to accept bets on the winning horse.



My favorite: Dean's Kitten. Considering that the weather tomorrow for Derby is predicted at 2-5 inches of rain, long shots are in! A 50-1 horse winning? It could happen, people!

Go, baby, go!!

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Girl, it is POURING here. Thunder, lightning, the whole shebang. So it's going to be a wet, muddy, potentially dangerous Derby.

Hold on to your velvet-covered helmet.

Grandmother said...

You are ready! It may be the wetest Derby on record but hopefully not as bad as originally forecast. But we are glad we will be safe and dry and not at the track today.