Monday, November 2, 2009

New Sewing Adventure

As some of you may know, when a friend has a baby, they get a counted-cross stitched baby sampler in Beatrix Potter characters; family nieces and nephews get blankets. Yes, I love Beatrix Potter and her woodland and farm creatures. (and yes, when and if we have a child, you know *how* the nursery will be decorated).

But I am now out of patterns for samplers and so what to do now? Well, I have every pattern book containing Peter Rabbit and his friends and so I decided for this new baby, I would venture into the pillow-making realm. Since I am learning how to sew, this is a whole new world.

But, it turned out perfectly! It's a 9 x 16 inch pillow and I am really quite proud of myself on this. The front, complete with navy cording around the edges:



and the back, complete with opening to take off the pillow case in case Mom needs to hand wash it:

As an additional bonus, I gave Mom, Dad, and Baby Joey the four Beatrix Potter books for the characters I sewed: Jeremy Fisher, Jemima Puddleduck, Peter Rabbit, and Hunca Munca (from The Tale of Two Bad Mice).

By the way, Mrs. Potter is totally fascinating and much better than the recent movie that came out a few years ago. Read Linda Lear's new biography of her. She is amazing woman and Professor Lear's book is very well written and interesting.

2 comments:

hscfree said...

That looks like a great gift! Nice job.

Fiona said...

Ditto on that book. Loved it.