Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sorry Charlie Brown, No Great Pumpkin this year

Here I was ALL excited because Will and I were going to be able to carve our very own-grown pumpkin. But the other day, in my daily routine of checking on the garden before heading off to work, I immediately noticed: our great pumpkin tragedy.



I picked up the pumpkin and it broke off the vine with such a sad and instant "snap". I rotated it in my hands to discover the huge gaping hole. I immediately dropped it when I saw the hungry ants crawling all over our potentially perfect Halloween work of art--which, needless to say, didn't help much in keeping the pumpkin intact.

No Will-created fantastic pumpkin montages with home-grown pumpkins this year. No jealous comments from neighbors about the carving of one's own orange gourd. Why, why it is almost as if there won't be any Great Pumpkin at all! I guess we go straight to Thanksgiving and working on a cornucopia of autumn veg instead. Sorry Charlie Brown. We were trying!

1 comment:

ehfriedman said...

It's ok, I'm unable to participate in this tradition as well. If I put a pumpkin outside my door (keep in mind I live in South Central), it would either attract the sewer cats or be smashed by some local juveniles. Or, you know, by my murderous neighbors.