Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Buckingham Palace-Self Portraits

While in London, we were able to get in one day of major sightseeing. In September, while the Queen is at Windsor Palace, the Brits open Buckingham Palace for one month to the tourists. Apparently, according to my parents who went through in the first year, this originally started as a way to make some funds to refurbish Windsor after its fire in the late 1990s. Apparently, according to my mother who is an A-1 Anglophile, Buckingham is amazing but not worth buying the dvd tour. Or, in her case, the VHS tour. I didn't, but I did buy a guide book-- now, that is totally worth it.

So it goes through the 19 state rooms, complete with audio headset (totally worth it). The most impressive room of course is the banqueting hall-- set for a royal state dinner. The amount of time and precision in laying out the silverware and glassware is amazing. And, to be honest, I wouldn't want the job of Royal Hand Washer. Everything on that table has to be washed & polished before it goes out and the same when it comes back in, only this time dirty.

You can't take photos inside, but you know that I would never pass up an opportunity to have a self-portrait in the gardens!





Can you tell how thrilled Will is?


Yeah, I knew he loved self-portraiture as much as me!

No comments: