Thursday, November 21, 2013

Amsterdam + Risjtaffel!

The next day was a trip into the Netherlands, my fifth country on my European tour.  I have a dear friend there and she and her husband are kind enough to let me take over their second bedroom (her office) and monopolizes her time/take advantage of her to make her my tour guide.  

We raced into Amsterdam from Utrecht today so she could pretend to be a scholar at a meeting while secretly wishing she was with me.  Though, I think she would have preferred to stay at the meeting since I went to the Anne Frank House.  I missed it last time I was here (about 13 months ago!) since I arrived just as it closed.  This time I was there just as it opened, and avoided the lines.  Though, to be honest, I am not sure how many tourists Amsterdam has in mid-November.  


 What you see from the outside isn't the house where Anne lived in hiding for two years.  There is a protective facade on it so that the house/warehouse aren't harmed by the elements.  There is a quick biographical movie about Anne and her family and then you slowly climb the stairs into the Secret Annex.  Per Otto Frank's wishes, the rooms remain empty with just photos on the wall of what it was like with the furniture.  I can understand why he didn't want have the rooms exactly as they were during their ordeal, but at the same time, I feel that you can't really appreciate how claustrophobic it would have been with two families, their limited stuff, and constant fear of being discovered.  It is almost devoid of feeling because you are just walking through empty rooms.

There are two moments which made me catch my breathe: Seeing the bookcase for the first time it is the real bookcase, with the real files still on the shelves; and seeing pages of Anne's real diary and looking at her handwriting.  These  two displays made me stop and really think about how in the world they lived for two years in silence and darkness during the day and with only a bit more freedom to make noise and move around during the night.

It is heartbreaking when you realize that she died within the one month of Auschwitz being liberated.  It is devastating to think that someone turned them in and no one knows to this day who that was.  It is with utter horror you watch the films of the concentration camps and think about the pretty house in Wannasee where all this death was planned, where Nazi officials gathered to discuss the final solution and saw numbers and problems instead of people.   It is just another reminder that has to be constant: this can never happen again.
the bell tower of the Westerkerk

A few buildings over is the Westerkerk, the church mentioned in Anne's diary.  Under renovation, it was the first church to be built as a Protestant church, and not turned into one from a Roman Catholic church.  It was built between 1620-1631 and where Rembrant is buried-- though no one knows exactly where, as there is no headstone.  
lamppost on the place in front of Westerkerk


After leaving the Anne Frank House, I walked along the Keizersgracht Canal. It was a beautiful crisp Autumn day in Amsterdam,with the sun shining and the canals glistening.  I happened along the Homomonument, the memorial dedicated to all gay men and lesbian women who are persecuted for being homosexual.  It was opened in 1987 and has three pink triangles in the road.  I was standing on the bit that steps into the canal, where several photos of people who had died because of they were homosexuals/transgender were tied to whites roses.  These were all recent photos, which made it especially poignant.




I met up with my friend and we had a lovely lunch at this French cafe.  Afterwards, she deposited me on a ferry and I crossed over to the north side of Amsterdam to go to the Eye Museum, the film museum, where I went through an exhibition by Péter Forgács: "Looming Fire," which is all about the Dutch in Indonesia from 1900-1940.  It is 6 hours of home movies, letters, and original music that shows what daily life was like in the colonial era of the Netherlands East Indies.  The movies are home movies showing family vacations and trips, scenic views of the East Indies, and daily life of the colonialists.  These films are juxtaposed to audio recordings (in my case, reading the English translations) that describe the underbelly of empire. It is very interesting and worth spending an afternoon there.  Also, my awesome friend did the research for it and what she discovered was amazing.  
The south side of Amsterdam

my awesome friend and me
 To cap off my colonial day, we then went back to Blauw in Utrecht, that amazing Indonesian restaurant where I had my second risjttafel (rice table), with 18 dishes of deliciousness.


The dishes include: Kerris Chicken, spicy meat, turmeric beef, pork soy sauce, chicken satay, pork satay, lodeh vegetables, stir-fried vegetables, mixed vegetables with peanut sauce, perkedel, sambal goreng eggs, sambal goreng potatoes, oerapan, pickled cucumber, fried banana, sambal goreng tempe, and prawn crackers.

Yes, I took a photo of the menu as I would have no idea what I was eating, let alone remember it.


some of the vegetables dishes

All you need to know is that it is amazing, delicious, crazy flavoring, and the goat satay is my favorite. Yup the goat.  And after we stuffed ourselves silly, it was nice to have the short walk home in the cold November night so that our bellies weren't too full by the time we went to bed.

some of the meat dishes

Goat satay

Finished!

No comments: