Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blue Ribbon at the Fair


My brother-in-law and my cousin Danny won a blue ribbon at the Kentucky State Fair in the arts and crafts category for their iPhone-o-graph.  As he tells it:

"There was an iPhone stand with an attached radio horn from the 1930's, that I found in a catalog selling for $800 - $1000 and I said to myself, 'I can do that!'

So I took my idea to Cousin Danny, a very well known Blacksmith here in Louisville, KY, and I asked if would realize the project for me. 


My original theme for this project was a Bourbon Still, where the iPhone would connect on the tabletop to the bottom of the copper coil. Like alcohol spirits in a still, the music would travel up the coil and transfer to the horn. 


Horn technology was used largely in the early recording industry to both record songs and play them back. "





They never expected to win the category or the prize money (which is basically the entry fee returned).  When we went to the fair, we had to visit the Iphone-o-graph three times, each time playing some old-timey horn music.  


Even in the great hall, it sounded great.  To listen to the song, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGe8G3sEZH0

And to hear a list of the various parts (old trumpet horn; Model T steering wheel; coils from a bourbon still; etc.), as well as hear a history of horn music and horn technology, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nGbiOwsSQ&feature=relmfu

Both links have the type of music recorded into a horn and played back on the iPhone-o-graph for optimum sound.  (You really should click the links, both of them.)





Darren and Danny were quite proud of their iphone-o-graph and I am quite proud of them.  Congrats guys!  It is really cool!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your Blog is Vary Useful Information.Real Estate Lawyers This is Vary Nice Site For Your Use Ful Information. Real Estate Lawyers For Your Real Estate Business
Go and See http://www.realestatelawyernyc.com/