Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Commissioned Work

My boss of 11 years retired recently. During those 11 years, we became more friends than anything else. In fact, at the retirement party, her husband came up to me and said now that she is no longer my boss, she can treat me like she has always wanted to: as family. Cue teary eyes for me.

As part of her retirement and as thank you for her years of service to the discipline of History, Will and I had the building in which she worked painted by a local artist, Mary Belcher. Mary did an amazing job and as part of the commission, she made me a smaller print as well as two sets of notecards! She is also willing to give copyright to us so we can re-use the image. Work is now thinking holiday cards, gifts to departing Council members, etc. Most importantly, my former boss was thrilled!
(please note that this is a scan of the notecard and the original painting is much crisper and perfect)

Will and I are now thinking that we need Mary to do a painting of our house...