Saturday, December 13, 2008

Nothing is Squirrel Proof


I have decided this and so am resigned to the fact that when we fill up the bird feeders (all 5 of them), that we will also be feeding the squirrels. It is fun to watch them schimmy up the poles to reach the feeders or to dangling from the gutter of the garage to get to the seeds.

Will has decided that he is tired of feeding the sunflower seeds to the squirrels and took disparate measures. Three new bird feeders arrived at the house yesterday.

We have the cooper cage with the plastic tube in the middle for the regular bird seed. We have a black one with the wire tube for saffflower seeds, sunflower seeds, or peanut chunks. And finally, we have the green one. You all know how much I love green, but this still seems too good to be true.

It is called the Single Sided bird feeder Squirrel Proof. It came with its own pole (ready to assemble). It promises that no squirrels will be able to get the food. I am not sure how it is going to do that, but it seems to have a lever of some sort that when you push it, it closes access to the food and you can't avoid this lever if you are a squirrel. I will let you know how the assemble and the installation go....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One day remind me and I will tell you the family story about the war between my dad and the squirrels that used to get into our bird feeder. War was officially declared by my dad one summer day as he watched, after no small number of attempts to deter it, a squirrel happily eating birdseed from their feeder on Edisto. In his most ominous voice he declared, "I'm gon' git that squirrel."