Thursday, January 17, 2013

Country Chicken



The Römpertopf breadmaker that my parents gave us for Christmas isn't just for bread.  You can make all sorts of things in it and so I decided to roast a chicken in mine-- what the pamphlet from the baker calls "country chicken".  You still have to sock the entire baker and lid for 15 minutes before cooking.







Once I had soaked the baker, I put a layer of chopped onions and garlic on the bottom.  Added my chicken (having put an onion into the bird), and poured about 1/4 stick of butter over the chicken.  I added salt, pepper, parsley, paprika, and herbs du Provence to the back of the bird and put the rest of the veggies on top: carrots, more onions, potatoes, red peppers, and radishes. 



The lid went on and into the oven it went at 450ºF for 80 minutes.  I walked away to do whatever else and didn't even check it until about 15 minutes were left.  I kept the lid on to keep the chicken juicy, but at this point, I could have poured off some of the gravy to make the bird a bit more crispy on the outside.




After 80 minutes, out came a beautifully roasted, juicy, flavorful chicken with perfectly roasted vegetables.  I realize that in doing this post, I have no photos of the bird outside of the baker. Once I pulled it out to crave, Will and I were too hungry to think about taking anymore photos.  But, let me tell you: the dinner was delicious.  I will say that the baker isn't the easiest to clean and I am hoping that it won't effect the taste of my bread, whenever I decide to make ciabatta again.  But the country chicken was very easy and very tasty with this and I will definitely use it again for roasting.

No comments: