Thursday, July 12, 2012

Jazz Funeral - New Orleans




The New Orleans jazz scene this week lost one of its greats when Lionel Batiste passed away on Sunday.
I however had the pleasure to witness something called a Jazz Funeral in his honour.  I'm not sure if many take place over a period of days or if this was it but I've never witnessed a more fabulous way to celebrate a death

A Jazz band with a large crowd in tow wander the french quarter drinking, dancing and having an absolute blast. When they reach a corner - fingers will be raised and the entire procession will turn and head in a new direction.  Occasionally they will stop for a few minutes and just play.

We followed them for a half hour or so - I've no idea how long it went on for, but it was contagious, everone who witnessed it joined in and instantly was sporting a huge grin.

Unsurpassed.

1 comment:

BaysYates said...

That is very cool. I truly do love New Orleans. I am not a huge fan of the weather, but it is a neat city.