Monday, August 8, 2011

Rhubarb From the Yard Crumble

Nothing says summer to Will and I like rhubarb crumble.  We absolutely adore it. I love seeing the stalks in the grocery store-- it is a sign that summer really is here.  So, we planted rhubarb three years ago and finally it is ready to cut to use.  We have been waiting this moment for a very long time.   The plant needs to establish itself before one starts cutting stalk off, and in the third year, can one really starts harvesting.   The anticipation of having our own rhubarb at any time versus waiting for the store to stock it, has caused us to grow more than several plant, in case one doesn't make it.  With this DC weather, it is better to be safe than sorry, so we have two plants now and are working on a third.


the plant in the upper garden
freshly cut stalks, carried into the house with our trug



I decided that it was finally time: both plants were established enough that we could harvest of bunch of stalks and make rhubarb crumble.  I cut several stalks-- the kind we have isn't the super red variety (that one is called Victoria, and that one died last year.) Ours has some reddish bits at the base of the each stalk, but for the most part, the stalks are green.  I trimmed off the leaves--they are poisonous, apparently-- washed it and cut into pieces.  
When I make any crumble, I butter the dish with salted butter.  I dunno why, but I prefer to use salted butter (a European variety, as well),  I just do.  I throw the cut rhubarb into the pan, and for this time,  some strawberries that needed to be eaten--strawberries are a nice compliment to rhubarb.  I supplement the sweetness of the fruit by sprinkling in light brown sugar.  As it bakes, the sugar caramelizes, and it helps sweetens the sharpness of the rhubarb.  Strawberries add much needed moisture, which also helps to break down the stringy rhubarb.  

For the crumble top: flour, white sugar, and more brown sugar combined into salted butter.  I add the crumble on top, making sure to shake it down into the pan.   Into the oven (please, no comments on how I need to clean it!) for 350ºF, for about 45 minutes-- until the top is a nice golden brown and there is liquid bubbling up on the side. 
Voila! A delicious, easy to make, dessert that is from our garden (mostly).  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and that, my friends, is one tasty way to end a dinner.  Plus, the rhubarb was home grown and I can brag about that for a long while to come.




No comments: