Monday, January 31, 2011

Taco Night

Last night was Taco Night at our house. We had spicy chicken, homemade guac, refried beans, some "Spanish" rice, and taco shells.  Will was very excited about the dinner and I admitted to a friend over the phone that I was not.  When he asked why, I answered that this was a very common meal for us growing up. Oh, we didn't have it, well, maybe twice.  Apparently there will be more taco nights in my future. 
We sat down and I dug in, I started making my taco.  Only Will had some issues. He asked me how I make my taco.  I said that I put on the refried beans and then the lettuce-- the beans hold in the lettuce-- then I add the meat and toppings, in whatever order I wish. 

Will did just that: beans, lettuce, chicken, guac, salsa, cheese, and sour cream. He took a bite.  The taco split."Ohhhhh. The chicken is too low.... The chicken needs to be higher or else the whole thing to unstable."  

Perhaps you are stuffing it the taco shell with too much?  "No, it is a flaw of the shell.  It is too narrow."  So he tried taco #2. The first bite was successful.  The second, not so much.  The all the insides fall out onto the plate. 

"Oh this is hopeless.  See I need the flat taco, so even if it is overstuffed, it still won't split in half.  I might as well crumble the shell up on my plate and eat it that way. There is more of my taco on my plate than in my shell." 
By the fourth taco, Will seemed to have gotten the hang of it.
"See, I am better at it.  We will need to have more Taco Nights....  but I am a messy Taco Night Guy."  You can say that again!


And yes, these are direct quotes.  When he found out I was writing them down, he responded in the usual way: "Ohhhh are you getting bloggin material? ohhh, you are so mean!"

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Taco tip! Use a small tortilla on the outside of the hard taco shell. Then you get the best of both worlds (hard and soft tacos) and it holds everything together.

Of course, in the spirit of the new dietary guidelines, this does go against the "eat less" advice.