Sunday, October 12, 2008

The last one standing...


We have a lone red pepper left in our garden. We are keeping this one on the vine for as long as we can. It is about the only thing of bright color left in our garden.

To be sure, we have several small green bell peppers but as the days grow shorter and there is a bit of crisp morning air, I don't know if the others will make it. We have several dozens of green tomatoes trying to ripen red or yellow. All the carrots are up. The garlic and chives didn't do so well. The onion doesn't seem like it is ready, but this is my first time growing onions. The herbs are still doing well. In fact the basil is going to seed and I am thrilled about that. And our rhubarb is happily neglected.

It is this one red pepper that I check on daily, trying to stretch the growing season as long as possible. Every morning I make sure that it is growing and ripening and not being eaten by the other covetous bugs that are in the garden. I feel that as long as it is on the vine, then winter is delayed one day. I am not ready for the cold yet. So, I am thrilled I still have this one bit of summer color.

No comments: